Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Why does Hollywood (seem to) Hate Families?

I mean don't get me wrong, there are films with great family dynamics. But why are the most celebrated ADULT films (not kids films) have some of the most depressing family dynamics?

Think about it: August: Osage County, Nebraska, The Silver Linings Playbook, The Kids are Alright (that one falls apart, sort of), Little Miss Sunshine (sort of, too), The Savages, the upcoming This is Where I Leave You... And that was just on the top of my head. 

There are so many more (just look here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_about_dysfunctional_families) or search for films with dysfunctional families

I don't really have an answer except that Hollywood likes making people feel good about their relationships, as if they're saying "It's a good thing my family isn't like them." 

What do you guys think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment