Thursday, July 10, 2014

So...Why Peter Pan?

As the book nears closer to completion, I should begin to explain myself, especially after all of the questions I've gotten through FB and email.

Consequently, the next few posts will be answers to the most common questions. Feel free to email me at zzoan37@gmail.com for any others.


So why did you decide to write about Peter Pan?


Well, it feels like a huge amount of closure for me to write about one of my hidden childhood heroes.
I have been making different stories ever since I was able to doodle- to put down my thoughts into pictures. 

One of the first characters I drew? Peter Pan. 
The first story to ever incorporate already made characters? One where Peter Pan played a HUGE role.
One of my favorite movies growing up? Peter freakin Pan.


I even used a specific rescue technique based on the Disney version of the book- the "no splash" technique, where Wendy is caught by Peter before she hits the water, hence the "N-No Splash, Captain" dialogue. 

In fact, that was one of the ways how I got the idea to make an origin story for Peter Pan in the first place.

Another point: I use something called "creative routing", a technique for new and current projects. When I see/hear something that catches my eye/ear, I immediately try to route it to one of my projects, to make new ideas and plot points for the story.


This is what did it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHohWh5likw

Yep. One song. That's all it took.

It was from a movie trailer; The second trailer for Hugo-based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret-to be exact.
It came out a month before it released in theatres and I was hooked. For an entire weekend the images and sounds of that trailer swirled in my head like a catchy jingle that refuses to be forgotten.

At the time I barely had any projects and had nothing in mind but for one idea (a pokemon fanfiction, currently under construction). Then I remembered the usage of the technique I mentioned earlier- the "no splash" technique.
That's when it hit me.

Peter Pan. A story like Hugo...but for Peter Pan...wait, how he became Peter Pan! Not like Hugo, but from an orphan boy just like him! That's it!

And the rest is history. That happened in October... I'm going to say 2011?... And if you want to see, the earlier drafts had almost direct references to Hugo, from clock tower scenes to dialogue to how the boy even acts in the story.


Then it went from Peter Pan to The Last Pan to The Second Star to Second Light and finally to Second to the Right. 
So essentially, it was accidentally on purpose. I've always thought of Peter Pan as a quintessential fantasy character, and to stumble upon a premise I had never thought of before was very refreshing and let my creativity go full circle.


Also that trailer music now is being put to good use for another project (not fanfic, but not for now).
I actually use this for inspiration now: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwZ5-P3FnEk



Anytime I'm stuck with a part of the story, I just play this and let the ideas swirl around until something new solves the issue. Also the fact how I play my stories in my head like they're movie trailers helps too.



Hope that helped answer the question. Another answer will come up sometime next week.

See you all in the sunlight!


-Zach

P.S.- That first track got me into trailer music.
You should check out the genre sometime. You never know what you might find that could help you find your next big idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment