Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Nostalgia and Movies

I love movies.

I love watching and critiquing them, but most of all, I love seeing films come together. From the announcement of production, to filming, to post-production, to the first trailer then finally to how it performed at the box office.


I remember when Frozen was actually called The Ice Princess (or something like that), and when Skyfall was Bond 23. I remember when Marvel announced Guardians of the Galaxy as their next big film, and seeing all of the subsequent hate from the comments section. We all know how that worked out.


Yet I can't believe how many old media properties are getting the big screen treatment: I saw photos from the 2014 licensing expo in Las Vegas. They're remaking Terminator, Gem and the Holograms and Asterix as big-budgeted movies. Also, they're making a new James Bond film, Mission: Impossible film, and Star Wars saga.


Freaking Star Wars.


And they're all bound to make some huge coin at the box office when they all hit theaters everywhere and anywhere.


Yet I feel like Hollywood is taking advantage of us because of this.


Nostalgia is the HUGE driving force behind some of these movies coming to the big screen, but it's pushing away new talent.



People are looking forward to the next Marvel movie more than a new idea in an indie movie, myself included. I'm really trying to open myself to new talent and art forms but the market is so saturated with nostalgia-flicks that very few indie works hit the mainstream.



Heck, in some aspect, I'm also trying to milk the cash cow here, but I digress.



What we need are some new ideas, people and places that no one else has seen before. But that's going to be hard, especially when there aren't many unknowns left.


It seems like there aren't many stories left to be told, but as an author, I bet that's what makes the job so inviting and even more exciting and challenging.



Speaking of nostalgia, what show or cartoon from your childhood would you like to be made a movie?


Let me know what yours is. Mine is The Magic School Bus.


See you all in the sunlight!





-Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment